Textures for a Party-Ready Capsule Closet
If you’re gearing up for holiday looks, you’re most likely evaluating your wardrobe too. It’s all about multi-dimensional looks this party season. No matter if you’re a regimented minimalist or love to be adventurous, textures aren’t to be overlooked—leather, suede, velvet, shearling, to name a few. The beauty of these pieces come from its ability to give depth to an otherwise humdrum ensemble. Black and white uniform? It’s anything but boring with a glossy blazer.
The great thing about adding texture to your wardrobe is always having a go-to for those days where you find yourself in a sartorial rut. That’s what makes it such a trusty addition to capsule closets with limited pieces and shows that you don’t need a great deal of clothes—just some classics you can rely on. Nothing a good chiffon top can’t fix for the office or perhaps a velvet bag to liven up a casual outfit.
Forget what you know about style being either/or. It doesn’t have to be either in-your-face vibrant or purely lackluster with the same neutral palette. You’ll soon discover that even one piece can make such a big difference. And we’ll let you in a on a secret: it’s actually one way we like to cheat with lazy layering.
But enough with the intro, we’re here to give you the lowdown on the must-have textures to add to your fall slash holiday closet. Plus some pro tips to make layering a breeze.
We’d be remiss if we didn’t mention the ultimate classic. Leather in anything is beloved for a reason and it’s surely going to be a forever piece in your closet. This timeless texture looks stylish in virtually any basic—from pants or leggings to a chic moto jacket that you can depend on for effortless pizzazz. Invest in key pieces that you can easily sprinkle onto a look that needs zhuzhing up such as tall leather boots, a blazer, or a sleek bag.
- Hit a two in one with the Celeste Boots’ snakeskin detail and leather finish. Try this with a midi dress or tucked over your favorite pair of slim-fit pants.
- Toughen up a look by adding a biker jacket like the KAII Double Buckle Vegan Leather Biker Jacket on top of your popovers or button-downs.
What wonders good pleating could do to an otherwise casual blouse or a simple midi skirt. This detail can come in a variety of fabrics but it truly wows in chiffon. There’s something about lightweight volume that just translate so angelically and makes for an unexpected statement piece. We love it in dolman or bell sleeves for tops and flowy dresses or skirts for dressier options.
- Forget sartorial dilemmas when you’re dressing up for get-togethers. Try a midi like the Pale Sky Pleated Skirt to add both color and texture to any casual soirée.
- Styling possibilities are aplenty with a top like the Dr2 Floral Top with cap sleeves perfect for layering over or under.
High shine but never too overpowering, a satin is the epitome of understated glamor. It works well in virtually any silhouette. It can accentuate a high-neck midi dress with its subtle gloss that just takes the ensemble to look more sophisticated. Satin skirts and dresses are wise choices to keep in your capsule wardrobe as they’re wearable with almost anything. Add a slip dress to your fall layers or celebration looks too with some knitwear for daytime or a long coat to cover up for evening occasions.
- Get excited for dressy occasions with a romantic pleated number like the Figueroa & Flower Satin Stripe Midi Dress. Wear it with minimal metallic jewelry and slingbacks.
- Whether it’s weekday date or after-work cocktails, the Black Satin Open Shoulder Wrap Jumpsuit is a one-and-done choice to transition well from day to night.
Buttery soft but gives enough warmth to be a worthy addition to your autumnal layering—even a simple but chic choice for gatherings. Velvet is a trans seasonal staple that can be revived for any occasion. It’s lot more luminous than satin and is a great highlight piece to jazz up a casual outfit or dress up a simple pant—think sweaters or puff-sleeved blouses. When it comes to more formal events, you can trust velvet to be the go-to for a vintage look and always a headturner with its striking shine.
- In true spirit of fall, rock a textured neutrals to busy days with the Dr2 Velvet Notch Collar Blazer. Easily wearable with a simple and sleek trouser like our favorite Secret Agent Pants.
- Don’t feel like wearing all-over velvet? Appoint a hint of texture via trims like in the Zac & Rachel Popover Blouse With Velvet Trim. It may not be the most noticeable due to the busy print but it adds a nice detailed touch to the overall look.
Fringe isn’t just for spring dresses. These add a interesting, Western flair to a cold weather outfit, especially when used as a topper for layers. Ponchos are always welcome in a cozy ensemble, even paired with the most dependable basics like a white tee and denim jeans. In terms of solo pieces, fringe-appended scraves are one way to put on some detail or for a bolder choice—fringe bags will magnet in the compliments.
- Cable knits are sweater stars but why not do it in scarf form? The fringe touch in the Rosie Cable Knit Scarf makes this a worthy capper to your knitwear layers.
- Forget plain bags, upgrade to a leather crossbody like the Flaming Leather Fringe Handbag for everyday that’s both classic and trendy with a Bohemian flair.
Liven It Up
With colder temperatures in full swing, now’s the best time to explore more techniques to liven up your style. As you master layering for fall-winter, create depth and contrast by mixing in textures you love with your ever-reliable basics. This is applicable for party looks too! Classic? Leather is always the best choice. Feeling like making a statement? Perhaps a touch of faux fur on your finishing coat. Regardless of your approach, remember to have fun and take everyday dressing a chance to uplift you.