5 WAYS TO REFRESH YOUR CLOSET FOR FALL
5 Ways to Refresh Your Closet for Fall
While we’re in the midst of fall, it might still be challenging to completely navigate transitional dressing. One activity many of us aim to do in September is to organize, declutter, and refresh. Deep diving into your own closet will most likely make you find some hidden gems that could be on-trend for the new season and a good way to utilize what you already have. That checks both boxes for sustainability and saving too!
But there are only so many vintage, wearable pieces we can find. Now is the best time to shake things up in the sartorial department to get fully immersed in the colder months—and mix old and new in the process. From minimal accessories to transformative patterns, follow these five foolproof tips to build a solid and current fall wardrobe.
Get Acquainted with Neutrals
While it’s very much valid to still wear brights in the fall, earth tones offer more versatility. Having an arsenal of trusty neutrals make for an infinitely wearable closet that accommodates more room to grab and go. It’s also easier to do tonal dressing with this type of palette—it’s classic and always polished. We love relaxed vests in oat or olive to bring depth and formality to an outfit whether it’s worn solo or in layered form.
- Don’t forget your basics! An oversized shirt is a quintessential wardrobe staple that offers a myriad of styling options. Tie the ends of the Romania Oversized Linen Shirt or wear it loose with a sleeveless turtleneck when the temp goes down.
- The Laurent Midi Skirt will let you flow from day to night with ease. Wear it with a puff-sleeved top or a graphic sweater.
- Look no further for the ultimate work dress. The High Neck Front Slit Sheath Dress is a one-and-done piece for the weekdays.
Say Yes to Knits
Every well-curated wardrobe should include its fair share of knitwear. Not only are they cozy and are easy picks for off-duty, they’re also going to be your layering saviors. Aside from chunky sweaters, we’re big fans of knit dresses that offer instant polish. Minis for casual events in the daytime or longer iterations that fuse comfort and sophistication in the evening.
- Make a layered necklace your last step to complete a knit dress look. The Carol Dauplaise Trio Pendant Necklace has three tiers and T-bar pendants that are thin enough not to overpower.
- Blend the coziness of a sweater with the statement-making length of a coat and you get the Open Front Cardigan.
- Embrace texture with the chunky Spacedye Popcorn Step Hem to pair with your favorite jeans and boots for a true fall casual look.
Update Your Accesories
The right accessories can elevate an outfit in an instant. Layered necklaces, stacked rings, or small but chunky hoops are just some simple but impactful ways to stand out. Or adorn an ensemble with some color via striking gemstones or trendy dual tones. Forget about the old rule that says you need to stick to one metal when wearing jewelry. Consider your placement, mix evenly, stack separates, and you’ll be good!
- Don’t underestimate the wow factor of the dainty Flirt Earrings. Coordinate the bright side with your bag or shoes for a stronger pop of color.
- Do it like the Parisian girls with the Celeste Scarf. Wear it on your neck or use it to zhuzh up your handbag.
- If a bucket bag and a tote had a baby, it would be the Sabine Drawstring Bag. Pair it with wide-leg trousers and a cropped jacket for a fully functional ensemble.
Invest in Statement Pieces
A statement piece is more than just an eye-catching color. It can be details like voluminous or shapely sleeves, made-you-look textures like leather or glossy satin, or a geometric bag. If you do go the vibrant route, tone it down by pairing it with a neutral—this works especially well for office dressing. Another way is to use statement accessories to embellish muted separates.
- The graphic print and neutral combo on the Magnolia Pleated Skirt is perfect for those who are hesitant to wear a loud piece but still want to try something printed.
- The Satin A-Line Midi Skirt might be a solid piece but it will definitely have all eyes on you with its high shine.
- Date night or any other special celebration is sorted with a piece like the Pink Halter Jumpsuit. It’s a head turner on its own but you can take it up a notch with pastel blazer for s classy color-blocked layer.
Transform With Prints
A capsule wardrobe is on a path to success with the right combination of prints. It’s one of our secret tricks to looking like you made an effort when your outfit required almost no extra thought. Animal print is a time-honored favorite that never goes out of style. There’s a reason why it keeps reinventing itself on the runways; there are just so many ways to wear it. Stripes is another classic that can basically be worn on anything from poplin shirts to date night dresses.
- We’re putting a checkmark on checks with its ultra wearability. The Plaid Shacket merges a lightweight shirt with a cold-ready jacket to be your perfect in-between staple.
- The styling possibilities are endless with the romantic Shadow Stripe Zebra Print Blouse. Don this to dinner dates with a silk or satin bias-cut skirt.
- Minimalists, rejoice—because it’s possible to be glamorous and understated at the same time. The Striped Lurex Jumpsuit shines with a tinsel-like finish and flares while still staying neutral. All you need is a cute clutch!
Think Beyond Fall
A great closet is more than just a one-season wonder. Don’t be confined to trends or rules that will either limit you from exploring or encourage you to go all out without thought. Create balance by enlisting timeless styles—especially basics—and experimenting with new colors, patterns, and silhouettes that will enable you to play with your style. You’ll soon find that mixing and matching is a walk in the park no matter the season.