How to Dress an Inverted Triangle Body Shape
Looking great and feeling great go hand in hand. If you're wondering how to dress an inverted triangle body shape to boost your confidence, look no further. An inverted triangle body shape means your shoulders are the widest part of your frame. If our body shape quiz determined you have an inverted triangle body type, then this guide will help you find the right women's clothes for your fabulous figure.
Learning the right cuts and fits to accentuate your unique body shape will help you shine even more than you already do. Here, we explore the characteristics of an inverted triangle body shape as well as tips for dressing your best in any situation. We walk you through wardrobe staples from top to bottom, all of which will highlight your shape. Let’s get started!
Characteristics of an Inverted Triangle Body Type
The primary characteristics of an inverted triangle body shape include:
- The broadest part of your body is your shoulders.
- Your bust may be fuller, but inverted triangles can have a smaller bust too.
- Your waist and hips are on the narrow side.
With your inverted triangle body shape, you can look at some incredible celebrities for inspiration. Supermodel Naomi Campbell, Welsh actor Catherine Zeta-Zones, and actor and humanitarian Angelina Jolie all have an inverted triangle body style. Check out their style to see what works for you.
3 Tips for Dressing an Inverted Triangle Body Shape
Before we dive into the specific pieces that work best for inverted triangles, here are three universal tips to keep in mind when choosing outfits and accessories. Your body has a natural poise, and these tips will help you stand tall and highlight your features with flattering inverted triangle body shape outfits.
1. Add Volume to Your Lower Body
Inverted triangles should aim to create the illusion of curves on your lower body, which will balance out your shape. We'll go over some of the specific items to choose from below, but think flared jeans, A-line dresses, and layered skirts. You can also choose lighter colors and bold prints to draw attention to your lower body.
2. Soften the Shoulder Line
With a broader shoulder, you want to soften this part of your silhouette. Soft, draping fabrics, narrower necklines, and solid colors to keep your upper half uncluttered will help draw the eye down.
3. Create a Defined Waist
Choose details around the waist and hips to create the illusion of curves. Choose pants with wider legs that will draw attention down from your shoulders and upper body to showcase a defined waist.
Dressing the Inverted Triangle Body Shape: What to Wear
Knowing what to choose is the first step of the process. Here are some ideas to keep in mind as you learn how to dress an inverted triangle body shape or a plus size inverted triangle shape.
Tops for inverted triangle body shapes should be simple without a lot of detail to draw the eye down to your waist and hips. The most flattering tops and blouses for inverted triangles include:
- V-Neck: Narrowing your shoulders is the goal, so create this illusion by choosing a slimmer V-neck.
- Dark, solid colors: Inverted triangle body shapes can choose dark, solid colors and neutral tones on the body's top half to downplay this area.
- Asymmetric necklines: An asymmetric top will break up the neckline and create a sense of balance.
- Halter tops: Halter tops will draw interested away from the shoulders and to the neckline.
- Tight-fitted short sleeves: When choosing short sleeve tops, pick fitted sleeves that keep the shoulders neutral.
- Loose and wide long sleeves: The opposite is true for long sleeves. Choose draping fabric like bell sleeves.
When shopping for women's jeans for your inverted triangle body shape, consider these tips.
- Bootcut: With the gentle curves of bootcut, you create an illusion of hips on an inverted triangle body shape.
- Flare leg: You would also look fabulous in more dramatic flare jeans, including wide bell bottoms.
- Wide Leg: Wide, straight-leg jeans will also balance out your body shape to give you a fuller look on the bottom.
- Boyfriend: These baggy jeans look great on your frame as they fill out your hips and give you a balanced shape.
- Cropped: Cropped jeans, either just at the ankle or a Capri-length style, will also draw attention to your bottom half.
- Light colors: Inverted triangle body shapes can also look incredible in light denim or colorful jeans.
Choosing the best dress and casual pants for an everyday look or the office can be a fun way to express your personality. Here’s what to look for:
- Small busy prints: Micro prints in light colors will create detail on your legs, drawing the eye down.
- Bold, large prints: You are a lucky person who can wear fun pants with bold, large prints. Choose florals or large plaids.
- Cropped: Cropped pants with sandals in the summer or boots in the winter will focus on your bottom half.
- Wide leg: Wide leg pants will give you the illusion of a waist and hips.
- Palazzo pants: Flowy palazzo pants are on-trend and made for your body shape.
Dresses and Jumpsuits
Show off your legs with these stylish dresses that are perfect for your inverted triangle body shape.
- Shift: A shift dress is a simple, draping dress that hangs down from the shoulders. It can give you the illusion of volume around the hips and butt.
- Pleated: Pleats also give fullness and are great to consider for inverted triangle body shapes.
- A-line: The classic A-line looks excellent on your body. Choose a fuller skirt to give you volume on your lower half.
- Midi-length: Midi-length dresses are fabulous for you as they fall mid-calf, which will draw your body's line downward.
- Flared hem: Straight-shaped dresses with a flared hem will show off your thighs, creating a curvier lower half.
Like dresses, you also want the best skirts in your wardrobe to show off your inverted triangle body shape.
- Tulip: Tulip skirts have an accented waist and a tapering hemline which can draw the proper attention to your hips and butt.
- Box pleat: Large pleats at the waist, known as box pleats, give your waist and hip area visual interest.
- Layered: Your inverted triangle shape body is perfect for showcasing layered skirts.
- Hip embellishments: Choose skirts with decorations at the hips, such as buttons.
- Bright colors: Bright, bold colors are great for your bottom half to draw the eye down.
- Bold patterns: Choose a bold, large print such as florals to create visual interest on your bottom half.
When the temperatures drop, reach into your closet to grab these flattering jackets and coats.
- Waist-length: Choosing a jacket that comes right to your waist draws the eye down to your bottom half.
- Cropped: Similarly, a cropped jacket will also draw attention to your waistline.
- Belted: Choose belted jackets or coats that cinch at the waist to give the illusion of hips.
- Wrap coat: Wrap coats that draw attention to the middle are a great accessory for an inverted triangle-shaped body.
- Single-breasted: Choose a single-breasted coat with a small collar and no shoulder details.
- Trapeze: A trapeze coat has no waistline or an empire waist, and the draping fabric draws attention downward.
Your swimwear should give you confidence and make you feel like a goddess, whether you’re at the beach, lake, or pool. Here are a few great choices for inverted triangle swimsuits.
- Ties at the hips: Bikini bottoms that tie at the hips add visual interest.
- Sweetheart neckline: A sweetheart neckline accents your bust without drawing attention to your upper half.
- Wide straps: Choose wide straps to balance out your shoulders.
- Gathered sides: Gathers, ruching, or shirring on the sides and torso of a swimsuit will create interest and a waistline.
- Midriff coverage: Choose swimsuits that accentuate your torso by covering the midriff. Tankinis are a great choice.
Shoes and accessories in the right places will create curves and draw the eye where you want it to go. Here are a few accessory options for all occasions.
- Hip bags: The elevated relative of the fanny pack, hip bags are making a comeback and can add visual interest to your waist and hips.
- Bracelets: Draw the eye down by accessorizing your wrists with bold bangles and statement bracelets.
- Long necklaces: A long necklace with a large pendant will help elongate your body.
- Statement shoes: Choose bold shoes with prints and pointed toes to lengthen your legs.
3 Easy Outfit Ideas for an Inverted Triangle Body Shape
Let's put these ideas into practice. Here are three outfit ideas for all occasions that will make you feel confident in your inverted triangle body shape.
Fill out your figure with layers. Choose light-colored cropped jeans and a pair of booties. Pair that with a fitted v-neck t-shirt topped with a waist-length dark denim jacket. Add a long statement necklace draw the eye toward the hem of the jacket. Be brave with colors choosing light blue, pink, or even floral print jeans.
For an Event
On a date or out on the town, turn heads with a stunning dress. An A-line dress in a bold, large floral print will flatter your figure. Choose a plunging neckline to draw the eye down. Add some chunky statement bracelets, and a pair of sling-back pointed toes shoes in a color that compliments your overall look.
For the Office
For office wear for the inverted triangle body shape, choose a neutral crew neck top with short, fitted sleeves. Pair that with wide-legged palazzo pants with a bold checkered pattern. Layer your look with a belted jacket or vest in a dark, complementary color. Throw on some mules, and you're ready for work.