Trend Alert: Accessories to Upgrade Your Fall Style
Accessorizing is often overlooked, especially on days when you’re pressed for time. But when done right, it can take a look to a whole new level. What would be a minimal look could offer maximal style. This trick is essential for polishing, perfecting, and personalizing any outfit; from show-stopping bags to the most understated of jewelry.
Fortunately, there’s no better time than now to explore with the outpour of trends coming out this season. Some throwback favorites are making a return, made-you-look texture centers as the star of the show to spruce or embolden your ensembles, and carry-alls are going for maximum statements. Here are five of the best accessory trends to level up your fall dressing.
Nostalgia is here to stay with bags injected with noughties flair. But this time, they’ve been modernized while keeping the same beloved baguette and hobo styles. We love it as a finisher to a detailed outfit. Tone down a sequin moment with a minimal mini bag or add personality with studs to an all-black ensemble.
- Sprinkle in subtle color courtesy of pastels like the mint Sidekick Leather Shoulder Bag. It’s perfect for tonal dressing with various verdant tones, especially a kelly green.
- The Blake Shoulder Bag checks all the boxes with its structured bucket shape and croc texture. It’s a chic alternative to a square tote too due to their similar shapes and spaciousness.
Match It With:
- A printed chiffon number like Dr2’s Floral Kimono Cover-Up Cardigan deserves a finishing pair by means of a sleek white or tan bag.
- Let the color blocking of the H Halston Turtleneck Sweater decide your bag by matching it with one of the quad tones in a similar shade.
A classic fall trend that you can take all the way to winter. Shearling is a chic addition to anything—whether it’s on collars, cuffs, or hems, it makes a case for both coziness and casual glamor. Wear it by way of a fluffy hat to accentuate a errand day ‘fit when the temperatures goes down. Indoors, treat your feet to cloud-like comfort with fuzzy slides.
- Lounging will feel more luxurious with the Faux Sherpa Closed Toe Slippers. And if you’re feeling extra fancy, throw it on with your best silk or satin pajamas.
- Two textures combine to make the chicest bucket hat you’ll ever wear. Rock the Jones New York Suede & Sherpa Bucket Hat with anything from your favorite sweater to a midi dress.
Match It With:
- Make a shearling jacket the star of the show with a straight-leg jean tucked under a knee-high boot like the Fabbaa Wide Calf Equestrian Boot. It’s a foolproof outfit formula for fall.
- Fur textures truly are natural statement makers. Warm up with a stylish topper like the Floral Print Faux Fur Collar Wrap and you’ll have all eyes on you.
Glitz is everywhere this season. Despite the resurgence of muted earthy hues, some balance is needed via shimmering textures and metallic finishes. Layer to your heart’s content with eye-catching jewelry. Don’t be afraid to mix metals either! Stack to make it look intentional and focus on one area of placement. Outside of accessories, try the trend in sequin jackets to jazz up a party dress or pick a high shine puffer coat to fuse some daytime glam onto casual outfits.
- Metal mixing doesn’t have to be complicated. Utilize two-tone pieces like the Diamond Accent 18" Necklace to do all the work for you.
- Texture is everything in a bag. Take fall’s sensibilities all the way to your getaways with a high shine finish on a piece like the Straw Circle Tote.
Match It With:
- Puffer jackets shouldn’t just be functional, they have to be chic too! The shine on the Metallic Puffer Coat just drizzles some character to a conventionally-plain piece.
- The Metallic Velvet Drape Shrug lets the ensemble shine (no pun intended) with its cropped cut. The choices are endless from a sleeveless cocktail dress to a solid jumpsuit.
Here’s a summer trend you can transfer all the way to fall. Silk handkerchiefs are forever staples with their multiple ways of wear. Tie it on the neck as a choker, as a Babushka style headscarf, a classic bandana with a low bun, or as a bag accent to your totes or top handle bags. One thing’s for sure, this one will carry on throughout any season.
- The colorfulness of the Celeste Scarf makes it a great choice for a bandana. Let the ties hang to complement your hair. It’s one way to be out the door in a flash when you have no time to style it.
- The Empire Multi Printed Silky Scarf can transform your ensemble with a luxurious feel by being a headwrap or tying it to your bag handle.
Match It With:
- For warmer days, turn a silk scarf into a triangular top layered over an oversized poplin button-down like the Romania Oversized Linen Shirt.
- If your scarf is long enough, enhance a pair of jeans like the Westport Signature 5 Pocket Bootcut Pants by tying it as a belt inserted in the pants’ loop.
One accessory is simply not enough. We’re making it nice—twice—with layered belts on baggy trousers and skirts from micro to maxi. Double buckle belts on a pleated midi skirt to give it a tough edge. On the nostalgic side, channel the ‘90s with chain belts in two different styles, such as a charm design paired with a curb chain. The one thing to remember is: the strappier the better.
- A pop of color—or two— with the Faux Leather Western Buckle Belt would serve a flowy black midi well in true Western spirit.
- Cinch a button-down in the middle with the Knot Belt and double up by adding a thin chain belt at the top. It’s fashion week street style-approved too.
Match It With:
- The high-low silhouette of the Asymmetrical Wide Leg Pants make it a great candidate for a runway-worthy dual buckle moment.
- Vintage vibes are always welcome. Embody the essence of ‘70s panache by layering chain belts on flared separates like the Bell Sleeves Cop Tie Top And Palazzo Pants Set.
Accessories are more important than ever in completing and uniquely expressing a look, especially when fashion trends turn toward simplicity and subdued attires. There is an art to accessorizing—whether it be choosing a wow-worthy bag or shoe or meticulously hunting down the ideal jewelry to achieve a look that bridges the gap between elegant and carefree. Don’t overlook this styling technique. Explore, experiment, and let your personality shine through your style.